Monday, May 20, 2013

This one time, at summer camp...

Where did the month of May go? I've been jumping from one event to the next, without much space inbetween. First, the issue with my dad. As soon as that issue settled, Álvaro and I were off on our road trip. I returned on Monday and went to an interview for a potential summer job. That Friday I was packed in a car with four other strangers, driving back up north to meet the other camp counselors. Looks like I have summer plans.

Assuming all goes well (and considering this is Spain, an employment contract guarantees absolutely nothing. I consider myself employed when I have arrived on-site and actually started working), I will have a summer job as an English camp counselor.

On the 10th of May (Ah jeez, has it really been almost two weeks?) I arrived in Molino de Butrera for a weekend job orientation. The camp is located in the north of Burgos. In fact, it was so far north that we were practically in Santander. The downside? It was freezing. I had missed out on a gloriously sunny weekend in Madrid (as soon as I returned the temperature dropped and it rained all week) in exchange for a high of 10ºC (50ºF) and persistently cloudy skies. Thankfully, the location made up for the gloomy weather. It was beautiful! It looked like a "real" summer camp, with wood cabins settled against a green hill. I was also quite surprised to find that I was only one of three native English speakers at the camp. To be fair, they did warn us that we'd need a decent level of Spanish.


The weekend essentially consisted of trial-runs of camp activites and get-to-know-you games. As I've never worked at a summer camp, I'm not sure how many bother to bring the counselors to the campsite a month in advance, but it certainly motivated me to return in the summer. It was an intensive weekend, waking up at 8 AM and playing games until 1 or 2 AM. I had no phone and no internet--I was completely disconnected from the outside world. On Sunday, I returned to Madrid feeling grungy and exhausted, but hoping to return.

The downside? Between the May holiday and this trip, I needed a solid week of recovery. I think I'm finally starting to feel like a human being again.


No comments:

Post a Comment