Sunday, March 31, 2013

Barcelona

Everyone break out your bikini and sunscreen because it's SPRIIIIIING BREEEEAAAAK!!!!

Wait, I forgot that this isn't Southern California and it's been raining all month. Also, I don't even own a bikini.

But in all seriousness, Semana Santa--or Easter Holidays--is the last big "travel break" before work ends in June. The perks of being an auxiliar include the sweet, sweet vacation time. Including weekends, we have a whole 11 days of freedom. It's the perfect time to explore the corners of Europe.

Of course, the airlines know that, and its also one of the more expensive times to explore the corners of Europe.

Combined with an indecisive boyfriend, it looked like I would be spending yet another holiday in my apartment living vicariously through my Sim. But, after some prodding by Dan, I was convinced into booking a last-minute train ride to Barcelona. Álvaro was also granted some last-minute vacation time and our last-minute adventure was underway last-minutedly.

Tuesday, 26 March
We left on Tuesday morning, arriving an hour and a half early for our train ride. The beauty of trains is that you only really need to arrive at the station, show your ticket, and get on the train. No separation of liquids or removing of shoes. This makes arriving so early a bit excessive, and it wasn't exactly the smartest move.

Three hours  and one nap later we had arrived, and after a short metro ride we were at the hostel. Did I mention that trains are great? We spent the morning exploring the city. The weather was great--a relief after the never-ending gloom and rain in Madrid. We strolled around the park in Montjuïc and walked up to the fortress at the top.


We hadn't yet set an itinerary, so this day consisted mostly of walking around and looking at things.  After an early train ride, we were both tired.

Wednesday 27 March
After being treated to blue skies and breezy weather, the clouds moved in and threatened rain. The temperatures altered between misty and cold, and hot and humid. Not the best day weather-wise. We set out to see the Sagrada Familia, the famous church designed by Gaudí and still under construction. I've seen it before, but it most certainly merits a return visit. Protip: buy a ticket online for a preset visiting time to avoid waiting in a a long line.

Interior

Passion Façade
We ate some Vietnamese food and decided to walk up to Parc Guëll. I was inexplicably tired that day, and the overcast weather wasn't helping my mood. I can't say I particularly enjoyed the uphill climb, and the normally spectacular view from the top was muddled by fog and clouds. Would I do it again? Yeah, probably.



Thursday 28 March
We had perfect weather! Warm, sunny, breezy. We went on a walking tour of the Gothic Quarters, where we learnt about the history of Barcelona and spent some time enjoying the sun in a park. We strolled along the beach at sunset. At night, we met up with Dan and ate some tasty paella. It was probably one of my favorite days of the trip.







Friday 29 March
Our last day! We had to catch a train at 9pm, giving us the majority of the day to relax and see a few last-minute sights. We toured the Palau Guëll, a mansion designed by Gaudí, visited the Picasso museum (it was interesting to see his older works, before the cubism), entered the old cathedral, and looked at a bit more Gaudí architecture. Then, we collected our bags and headed to the train station. By midnight we were back in rainy Madrid.







Final Thoughts:
I enjoyed my trip in Barcelona. It was a chance to see something a bit different, a bit less typically Spanish. The city boasts an eclectic mix of modern architecture and old Gothic neighborhoods (even a few Roman ruins).  Not to mention, it's a strange concept to travel within the same country and suddenly no longer understand the language. In Cataluña, they speak Catalan (one of the official languages in Spain). Of course, it didn't matter too much because as soon as people saw my face they immediately addressed me in English, which brings me to my next point...

Barcelona felt like a tourist trap. Maybe it was influenced by the Easter holidays, where everyone (myself included) dreamt of warm, sunny weather. During my stay, I think I heard more English (and to some extent, German) than either Spanish or Catalan. 

Negativity aside, it's a cool city, which merits a visit. I've already suggested a day trip (seriously, the trains are that amazing) with my parents in May/June, so there's a chance I could be going back soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment